The tracking of overtime or lack thereof has become a hot button issue for many companies in recent years. Litigators and employment lawyers alike have been scratching their heads in disbelief that some companies either have no policy or could not be bothered to track the overtime hours of employees. In Canada, the HRSDC has created pamphlets of information on “Hours of Work and Overtime Pay” for employers. Many municipalities and provinces have their own set of labour laws which range from banking overtime, overtime averaging and overtime equalization. In the United States, the department of labor has the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) to help guide employers.
So, is it easy to track overtime hours of employees and avoid a disgruntled workforce? If you are using a paper and pencil, or the antiquated punch clock system the answer is no. An effective time and attendance system is one that automates the manual tasks of employee attendance tracking. In addition, the time and attendance software tracks: vacation, rate of pay, statutory holidays, overtime hours and also serves as a scheduling tool for your workforce analytics and reporting functions. The time and attendance system should also be easy to use for both employees and management.
In addition to tracking employee overtime hours, our system includes the following benefits:
- Eliminates payroll errors and reduces payroll preparation time through automation
- Accurately track attendance, absences and vacations
- Automate the calculation of time cards and calculate employee hours
- Reduce the costs associated with purchasing time cards for each pay period
- Track and pay premiums
- Optional automatic lunch deductions
- Provide customized reports to aid decision making
- Track time against departments, work orders, or other fields
- Automate the equitable distribution of available overtime to qualified employees in accordance with configurable business rules
Read more about tracking employee overtime with our time and attendance system.